Sunday 20 March 2011

Fangirl

Every little girl wants to be Serena van der Woodsen. While E8 may be a long way from the UES, I’ve found a new way to make my life a little more like hers. I’ve tried drawing on the mole, perfected the hair swing and the four-year-old giggle, and short of cashing in the inheritance to stock my wardrobe full of Marchesa and Chanel, had hit a road block. But my new ingenious idea cost under £3 and took little more than half an hour of my time.

Like a teenage girl at a sleepover, my SVDW girlcrush hit hard when I saw her bedroom at the Waldorf penthouse. Its focal point is a black butterfly sculpture that hangs above the bed, made from recycled cans by artist Paul Villinski especially for the show. Here’s how I got the look on the cheap.

1. Go to Paintworks/ Cowling & Wilcox and buy some black mirror card.

2. Google image search 'butterfly template' and print it off.

3. Draw around your template on the card about 30 times.

4. Cut your butterflies out carefully.

5. Use some blutack to stick your butterflies to the wall. You can go swirly like Serena, or catch them randomly mid flight like I have.

The finished article should look something like this:


Now you can call your Nate and have a very Upper East Side sleepover!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment